In this article, I am going to give you some very basic information on nutrition that will really help you to start eating a healthy, balanced diet.
Be sure to consider getting a balance of all the main nutrients in your day. Please have a look at this plate below.
Please find lists of foods under each category in my article FOODS TO EAT
You can prepare meals that suit your tastes, helping you to stick to a balanced nutrition lifestyle, giving you a healthier, happier life.
Nutrients are broken down into 2 main groups. MACRONUTRIENTS (MACROS) which come in larger quantities in our food and MICRONUTRIENTS that come in much smaller quantities.
MACRO NUTRIENTS – Water, Carbohydrates, Fats, Proteins, Fibre
MICRONUTRIENTS – Vitamins and minerals
Depending on our activity levels, age, body composition, fitness levels, stress levels etc and what our body demands from you at different times, the quantity of these nutrients will vary.
It’s up to us to cover all the bases of what we may need. This can be hard to measure and is a process in which we are learning all the time.
None of us can be sure of exact quantities but as long as we keep our minds open we can attempt to get everything or body needs to work properly.
Below is a brief description of what these nutrients do for the body:
- Water: To hydrate the body andcells, this helps aid all other body processes.
- Carbohydrates: Are the main source of energy for the body.
- Proteins: These provide a source of materials for growth and repair.
- Fats: Also a source of energy and help to metabolise fat soluble vitamins.
- Vitamins: Required in small quantities to keep your body and brain healthy and functioning optimally.
- Fibre: This is required to help the digestion process and to make sure your intestines are functioning correctly and effectively.
Failing to consider all of these nutrients can lead to deficiencies and even lead to illness.
Please check the next article on FOODS TO EAT to get lists of foods that fall under each category.
I will be writing other articles on particular diets like Keto, Paleo and Vegan where you may not be able to eat some of the foods listed in my article FOODS TO EAT.
If you are considering one of these diets then specialised information is needed to make sure that you don’t miss out on any of the important nutrients.
Thanks for reading,